[RE-wrenches] (no subject)
August Goers
2011-02-17 20:00:02 UTC
Hi Off Grid Wrenches,

Does anyone have any feedback on what brands and or models of small 12v
charge controllers they like? I'm looking at setting up a small emergency
power shed with a couple of PV modules and deep cycle batteries and perhaps
a Morningstar or Xantrex small charge controller. We just need something to
power a light or two and some cell phone chargers, etc.

Also, has any tried the Morningstar SureSine 300W inverter?

Thanks,

August
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
August,

I have had good luck with the Morningstar Suresine 300W inverter at an
installation in Haiti. I hope that saying this does not jinx the
installation.
I used the BZ 500 MPPT charge controller from BZ Products and 450
watts of modules to light up a small school.

Lee

Lee Bristol
NABCEP Certified Solar Designer/Installer
Co-Founder & Commercial Channel Manager

Standard Solar Inc.
1355 Piccard Drive, Suite 300
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 944-5105 Direct
(240) 479-1510 Cell
(301) 944-1202 Fax
Lee Bristol
NABCEP Certified Solar Designer/Installer

Co-Founder & Commercial Channel Manager
Standard Solar, Inc.
1355 Piccard Drive, #300
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 944-5105
(240) 479-1510 (c)
www.standardsolar.com
Jason Szumlanski
2011-02-17 20:21:17 UTC
I like the Xantrex C12 for the night lighting control and LVD. It
doesn't cost much more than the (admittedly great) Morningstar
controllers, and has many features and adjustments. It is a little
larger in size, however.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar

Thanks, all, for the good info... Also, thanks Jason for adding a subject!
-August

I recently saw another installer's small system with a Phocos CXN
controller (MPPT). It is very simple and small. I think the only way to
change the LVD setpoints is through software on a computer, and there
are only 5 LVD "modes."

I can't vouch for it, but it looked like a reasonable solution with a
decent LCD status readout. If small and user friendly is important, it's
an option to look at.

By the way, this system had two 12V Werker 33aH AGM batteries. They fit
nicely in a large NEMA 4X enclosure. Contact me off-list if you want
pictures.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar

Thanks, all, for the good info... Also, thanks Jason for adding a
subject! -August

Thanks, all, for the good info... Also, thanks Jason for adding a
subject! -August

My vote is the Morningstar ProStar. Either the PS-15M or PS-30M. The
built-in meter is handy and the unit is a Charge Controller and Load
Controller at the same time.

On/Off button for the Load controller can act as a light switch if you place
the controller near the door or at least at a handy height.

For a tight budget, just get the meter free version, PS-15 or PS-30.

Has a simple charge status LED group and battery type selector. Built-in
auto 12V or 24V detection.

You really can't go wrong!

Maverick

Maverick Brown
BSEET, NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer R
President & CEO
Maverick Solar Enterprises, Inc.
Billing: PO BOX 1229, Dripping Springs, TX 78620
Shipping: 11402 Antler Bend Road, Austin, TX 78737
Office: 512-919-4493
Fax: 512-607-6398
Cell: 512-460-9825
Store: <blocked::http://www.mavericksolar.com/>
http://www.mavericksolar.com
Corporate: <http://www.mavericksolarenterprises.com/>
http://www.mavericksolarenterprises.com

Thanks, all, for the good info... Also, thanks Jason for adding a subject!
-August

Hi August,
For small systems such as you are planning here we have had great luck
with the Morningstar MPPT controller, Suresine inverter and Morningstar
control module. We build them into a little "powerpanel" on a backing
board and take them out to the job pre-wired. We have five or six of
these out there with no issues over the last two years. Just my two
cents....

Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
Penobscot Solar Design