[RE-wrenches] Inverters Maximum Input Ratings
Jason Szumlanski
2014-08-25 23:40:34 UTC
I had a tough customer recently that grilled me on how we can put a 270W
solar module on a 215W inverter. Fortunately, Enphase has a wonderful white
paper on the subject. However, it got me thinking... Enphase has
demonstrated that higher output panels in many climates (hot SW Florida
included) can benefit from modules that far exceed the inverter rating, and
even exceed the inverter's "recommended input" rating. Enphase has shown
that 270W+ modules can show energy harvest on the M215 where it makes sense
to "oversize" the module.

I also received a similar query from a rather uninformed plan reviewer in
an area AHJ along similar lines. Fortunately I was within the "recommended
input" rating on the spec sheet of 270W with a 265W module, but I wonder
what would happen if I had paired the M215 with a 280W module on my plans,
which are becoming readily available now in 60 cell modules with 300W
modules on the near horizon. I'm pretty sure my plan would have been kicked
back for exceeding the manufacturer's recommendation.

My question, which applies to string inverters and microinverters, is how
much is too much, what would happen if you paired an array that far
exceeded the rating, and how do inverter manufacturers determine the
recommended and/or maximum rating of the connected module or array? Also,
why do some manufacturers have a simple recommendation while others have a
"maximum" rating?

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Interesting comment - we have thousands of M215's in service with an
extremely low failure rate (maybe 1 or 2). I have purposefully not started
installing M250's because the M215 seems like a low risk and I'm waiting
for good pricing on 280W, 60 cell modules. It's not exactly off-topic, as
there seems to be evidence that a higher module rating/inverter rating
ratio results in more energy harvest, presumably in part due to inverter
efficiency increasing as the input power increases. That's why I have been
reluctant to put 250-265W modules on the M250.

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar

?

Post by Jason Szumlanski
[...]
Look, guys, what?s beyond dispute is that when we size the solar array higher than the nameplate inverter output, there will be clipping that takes place?.i.e., harvestable solar power that goes nowhere. The higher that oversize percentage, the more clipping will take place.

If the design choice, as noted below, is to use a 270-watt module (from a manufacturer that learned last week that a recall notice was published by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/SolarWorld-Recalls-Solar-Systems-with-Copper-Grounding-Lugs/ ), does it make sense to use a micro inverter that has a max output of about 225 watts (M215) or 250 watts (M250) when there are micros (e.g., ABB 300) that can handle the full output of the 270 which guarantees NO clipping?

marco

On Aug 25, 2014 1:41 PM, "Jason Szumlanski" <jason at fafcosolar.com> wrote:

[...]

Image removed by sender.

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

Marco, here?s a scenario ? a bit theoretical, but I?m curious to get your input since you?ve been active on this topic for a while (I?m assuming the values below are reasonably accurate ? I haven?t looked at the datasheets for a while):

ABB 300?s

Enphase 215

Max Power

300

225

Max Current

1.25

.94

Inverters/Circuit

12

17

kW/Circuit (based on 270W modules)

3.24

4.59

If I have a 100A residential panel with a 100A main, I am limited to backfeeding a single 20A circuit or doing a supply side connection. If I got 1500kWh/kW with ABB and 1450 kWh/kW (3% energy loss due to clipping) with Enphase, would it be worth avoiding the supply side connection? What if I get 1472 kWh/kW? Where would you draw the line.

Isaac Opalinsky | Technical Trainer | SunPower Corporation
Desk 443-569-3476 | Cell 443-277-6286

On Aug 25, 2014 1:41 PM, "Jason Szumlanski" <jason at fafcosolar.com<mailto:jason at fafcosolar.com>> wrote:
[...]

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org<mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm<http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org<http://www.members.re-wrenches.org>

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

In my opinion in regards to that SolarWorld recall even though they had the wrong lay in lug part specified in their manual (not tinned). Any installer worth his salt knows that you don?t put copper and aluminum together so shame on any installer who put untinned lugs on a module, SolarWorld or otherwise.

Thanks,
Will

Will White
Operations Manager - New England
RGS Energy

64 Main St. |Montpelier, VT 05602
tel 802.223.7804 | mobile 802.234.3167 | fax 802.223.8980

RGSEnergy.com<http://www.rgsenergy.com/> | william.white at rgsenergy.com<mailto:william.white at rgsenergy.com>

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. RGS Energy is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Look, guys, what?s beyond dispute is that when we size the solar array higher than the nameplate inverter output, there will be clipping that takes place?.i.e., harvestable solar power that goes nowhere. The higher that oversize percentage, the more clipping will take place.

If the design choice, as noted below, is to use a 270-watt module (from a manufacturer that learned last week that a recall notice was published by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/SolarWorld-Recalls-Solar-Systems-with-Copper-Grounding-Lugs/ ), does it make sense to use a micro inverter that has a max output of about 225 watts (M215) or 250 watts (M250) when there are micros (e.g., ABB 300) that can handle the full output of the 270 which guarantees NO clipping?

marco

"
?
when we size the solar array higher than the nameplate inverter output,
there will be clipping that takes place"

That's not necessarily true. Let's say I put a 270W module on a 215W
microinverter that is pitched 3? to the north at 25 degrees north latitude?
That panel may never put out 235W, which is about what would be required
for the M215 to put out it's maximum 225W based on 96% efficiency. Sounds
extreme, but we did something similar for a customer that had no better
option than this azimuth/pitch. As the price of PV decreases, it becomes
plausible to install it on roofs that are low pitched and > 90? angles from
true south (in the northern hemisphere), especially at low latitudes. If
incentives are right, the north roof isn't off limits anymore!

I guess it all depends on how much clipping there would be and the
economics of the system. ?I may not worry about a small amount of clipping
on occasion if the alternative is an inverter option that costs more. It's
a pretty complex calculation/estimate.

The other factor is the inverter efficiency curve. It looks like the ABB
micro has relatively flat efficiency above 30% of rated output. I couldn't
find one, but I assume Enphase's is similarly flat. I guess it's really a
non-issue other than very low light situations.

[image: Inline image 1]

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Marco Mangelsdorf <marco at pvthawaii.com>
Post by Marco Mangelsdorf
Look, guys, what?s beyond dispute is that
??
[...]
[image: Image removed by sender.]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Jason,

This does not exactly answer your question but SMA Sunny Design indicates
a 70% power ratio (ac rating/dc wattage) as the threshold. SMA has a
letter indicating installing below 70% will not invalidate warranty (as
long as other design practices like 600V DC are met).

I have not been pushing the boundaries much myself (waiting for others to
validate success) but I have not thought twice about approaching 80% power
ratio (which is similar to your example). Now that panel prices are
cheaper this should be a best practice in many regions. PVsyst production
simulation for this type of power ratio does not show significant loss. I
have spoken with SMA and ABB about the matter and neither manufacturer has
stated that there would be reduced inverter life. In many systems
approaching 70% power ratio can reduce cost per kWh assuming no additional
O&M costs.

Like you suggest, it would be nice to hear from more inverter
manufacturers on the subject.

Matt

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC
(877) 312-7456
List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
http://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist.ht
ml
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
www.members.re-wrenches.org
Isaac Opalinsky
2014-08-26 13:11:14 UTC
Jason,

This seems to be a regular topic of discussion in our training classes not only for microinverters, but also for string inverters. Especially for 3.8 kW units that are optimal for backfeeding 100A service panels and 7.6 kW units that are optimal for 200A panels. A slightly bigger array can give a higher total yield, maybe some power clipping, without the additional cost of a supply-side connection. As long as you stay below the maximum VOC and ISC, there isn?t a safety issue.

So it really just boils down to economics and the overall value proposition for the customer, which makes it hard to provide a blanket recommendation. We?ve been training people for years to model PV system performance to determine an acceptable DC/AC ratio on a project-by-project basis.

The inverter manufacturers pretty much all claim that there is no concern about overworking or shortening the useful life of their inverters since limiting operating power limits the operating temperature as well, but that leaves me with two questions:

1. Does anyone have any evidence that high DC/AC ratios does/does not shorten the life of the inverter?

2. If there is a small amount of power clipping (say <1% total annual energy), are many customers likely to notice/care?

3. If they do notice, does the customer service aspect of having to defend a design decision outweigh the potential economic benefits of a smaller inverter?

Isaac Opalinsky | Technical Trainer | SunPower Corporation
Desk 443-569-3476 | Cell 443-277-6286

Yes, as Matt pointed out, with PV prices much lower now, the economics
point toward erring on the side of oversizing the array. This should
provide benefits in later years as modules degrade, even if there is some
clipping in early years. It definitely reduces the cost per installed watt,
and since most comparisons at the end user level are done at a $/watt
level, it can provide a competitive advantage. On the other hand, it can
look like you are providing less value relative to a competitor that
provides a larger inverter relative to the array rating.

Very interesting discussion. Thanks for the replies.

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Isaac Opalinsky <
Post by Matt Partymiller
[...]
Hi Jason and All,

Good topic. As far as I know, simple energy estimation programs like
PVWatts don?t take inverter size into account when estimating annual
production but more robust simulation programs like PVsyst do. I think it
is a matter of really being able to trust your simulator to tell the
designer how sizing the inverter will affect annual production. Maybe
others can chime in on this.

We?ve run different scenarios through PVsyst in house to see how under
sizing inverters affects the overall annual production. It is surprising
for our area (SF Bay Area) that we can really push an inverter with very
little reduction in annual simulated production. I?m talking about putting
maybe 5 kW (or even a little more) of PV on a 3.8 kW inverter or
thereabouts. Array orientation also factors in. To Issac?s point, if
keeping the inverter small reduces the initial installation cost
significantly while possibly only reducing annual production by a little
bit then I feel it is a good design.

All that said, we?re still fairly conservative with pushing our inverters.
I?ve found that it is very hard to go back to a client after the
salesperson has made the sale and try to reduce the inverter size. In other
words, we need to nail the inverter size up front during the sales process
or the client will oftentimes feel taken advantage of later. It is hard to
explain why we are only giving a client a 3.8 kW inverter when we are
calling their system 5 kW DC.

To Isaac?s questions: most of our clients wouldn?t notice about mild to
moderate clipping during peak periods. However, some would. This is why it
is important to setup proper expectations about how we designed the system
up front and do our homework to assure that the clipping is accurately
estimated and factored in to the production estimates. If we can provide
clear logical reasoning for sizing the inverter the way we did then we
shouldn?t have any problem. I have no idea how array sizing might affect
inverter longevity.

I think the general points made by others about the declining costs of the
modules themselves and increased cost of BOS components means that these
types of discussion are very valid.

Best, August

One of the problems with relying on simulators (PVsyst, Helioscope,
whatever) to estimate clipping is that they rely on hourly averaged
irradiance from TMY files (with very few exceptions), which may not predict
clipping, especially for areas with variable climates.

Thinking about partly cloudy days in NC where I live and install systems,
an average hourly value predicts no or a very low percentage clipping for
systems with even a fairly high dc to ac ratio (by high I mean anything
over about 125%). Without subhourly meteo data, I would be skeptical of
simulators estimates of clipping. I believe they are generally
underestimated, which can lead to a false financial analysis of the most
cost effective dc-ac ratio.

Also, I do not think most (any?) of the simulators have the capability to
take inverter internal temperature related power derating (another form of
power clipping) into account in the simulations, which could lead to
overestimated generation. I realize hot inverter temperatures may not
coincide with the colder temps that usually create clipping, but the higher
the ratio goes the more often we see an overlap in hot days/high
temps/clipping.

Cheers,
Rebekah Hren
--
Tel: 336.266.8800
http://o2energies.com/
Post by August Goers
[...]
This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for the named
recipient(s). It may contain confidential or privileged information that
may be exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient(s), you are notified that the disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying, storing, or other use of the contents of this
message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the
sender at either the email address or telephone number above and delete
this email from your computer. Thank you.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Rebekah,

This is where checking simulation data versus real output data is key. Our
company has hundreds of monitored systems but very few with undersized
inverters. So, I don?t have many data points that I can study. Generally
our systems meet or beat our simulated as-built production estimates within
an amazingly close margin. I think your point about inverter heating and
derating is valid for inverters which are significantly undersized. You
seem to have a strong opinion that simulators generally underestimate
clipping. Do you have any particular sites where you learned this from?

Best, August

Rebekah,

My understanding was that PVsyst modeled inverter nominal power not
maximum power. I believe this helps to compensate for inverter
temperature limitations. For instance, depending on inverter location and
power ratio, I would suppose that there may be instances where the
simulation could clip potential max power production. This may balance
those instances where inverter temp derating would result in production
loss.

I would be curious to see how subhourly data could affect a simulation.
Admittedly not something I have thought about.

Matt

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC
(877) 312-7456
www.members.re-wrenches.org
Nathan Charles
2014-08-27 13:53:23 UTC
I wrote an open source library called solpy to explore some of these
issues. https://github.com/nrcharles/solpy It's not user friendly but you
can watch the DC power available at the array. It implements the CEC
inverter model and when I matched it up with Enphase's 5-minute data it
tracked fairly well. (Paper here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08irv0fb4sky9o5/prediction.pdf?dl=0 it's not peer
reviewed.)

The interesting thing, is how high of a ratio is needed in non-ideal
circumstances for clipping to show up. That said, it often appears that
mismatch and soiling derates are applied to the DC side and that will
reduce the number of hours clipping that shows up in the model. I think it
really get's down to what the Manufacturer warranty will cover, and plan
for an inverter replacement if the warranty is less than the life of the
system.

matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Post by August Goers
Hi Rebekah,
This is where checking simulation data versus real output data is key. Our
company has hundreds of monitored systems but very few with undersized
inverters. So, I don???t have many data points that I can study.
Generally
our systems meet or beat our simulated as-built production estimates
within an amazingly close margin. I think your point about inverter
heating and derating is valid for inverters which are significantly
undersized. You seem to have a strong opinion that simulators generally
underestimate clipping. Do you have any particular sites where you
learned
this from?
Best, August
Post by August Goers
ml
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
www.members.re-wrenches.org
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
As someone who designs very large systems, I agree with Isaac. There's no
one rule for inverter sizing as there are a multitude of factors in play.
Solarpro's article "Levelized Cost of Energy" in the April/May 2012 issue
goes into inverter ratios and how it ties into LCOE.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Th one factor I don't think any of us have enough info on yet is the
reduced lifespan of the inverter. Heat kills electronics, and an
inverter that is running at max capacity more of the time will be
running hotter. The MTBF (mean time between failures) is only going to
get worse at higher heat, so then question becomes how much worse? With
lease programs and financing that uses up to 30 year projected
lifespans, I think we're going to see some long term issues come back
to bite those that saved a few cents/ watt up front.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician
Solar Design Engineer
303 505-8760
Post by Steven Lawrence
As someone who designs very large systems, I agree with Isaac.
There's no one r; ,ule for inverter sizing as there are a multitude
of factors in play. Solarpro's article "Levelized Cost of Energy" in
the April/May 2012 issue goes into inverter ratios and how it ties
into LCOE.
Marco,

The applicability of your statement ...

"... what?s beyond dispute is that when we size the solar array higher than the nameplate inverter output, there will be clipping that takes place?.i.e., harvestable solar power that goes nowhere."

depends to a great extent on the site climate .. as I'm sure you're aware. Overall, the blanket statement you make in this respect is not correct.

Using Hawaii, and 65F/85F as low and high respectively, Solar World SW270 photovoltaic modules will nominally generate 243 watts at 65F, and 225 watts at 85F under conditions of 1 kW/m^2 irradiance and perfectly orthogonal to the sun.

Microinverters rated 225 watts AC output at ~95% efficiency will input nominally 237 watts DC. Subsequently, the maximum amount of limiting that could take place under these conditions is approximately 6 watts. However, that too will not happen, as the 65F condition does not occur during mid-day.

Since 65F occurs early morning, during periods of decreased irradiance, the sun angle will be fairly low, thus the SW270 photovoltaic modules won't be orthogonal to the sun .. nor will there be 1 kW/m^2 irradiance. Thus the PV module won't be producing 243 watts, but instead will be much less, depending on irradiance and sun angle (among other things).

In your own Hawaiian climate, the SW270 is in fact an almost perfect energy match for the Enphase 225.

Move the scenario to Phoenix, Arizona, and the cold/hot PV power output (using 5C/40F low, and 50C/120F high), the PV power output would be 249W and 202W respectively, again with 1 kW/m^2 and orthogonal to the sun. The likelihood of 40F during mid-day in Phoenix is exceedingly rare. Thus you can see that the SW270 module is actually a bit UNDERSIZED for an Enphase 225 in Phoenix. The amount of energy not harvested due to limiting in the Phoenix environment is essentially zero, even with a 270 watt PV module.

Conversely, the SW270 / Enphase 225 combination in Minneapolis would not be optimal due to the extremely cold winter weather. Here, power limiting within the inverter WOULD occur when cold, resulting in less than 100% of the available DC energy converted to AC at an ambient temperatures of ~50F or cooler, and under conditions of 1 kW/m^2 irradiance with the sun perfectly orthogonal to the PV module. This would not be thermally harmful to the microinverter because it would be taking place during extremely cold weather. Conversely, during summer months, using 35C (95F) as the typical high temperature in Minneapolis, the PV module output would be reduced to 220 watts, all other conditions being equal .. thus LESS than is needed for maximum output by the microinverter.

In summary, in warm-to-hot climates, the SW270 would in fact be a nearly ideal match for the Enphase 225 from an energy perspective.

Regards to all,

Dan Lepinski

To: "'RE-wrenches'" <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 1:10 AM