Diode Failure
Corey Shalanski
2014-10-20 20:51:23 UTC
Wrenches,

Since my previous post (see below) we have recovered the faulty modules and
are now looking to replace the diodes in order to make them functional
again. I have had no success sourcing replacement diodes from the original
module manufacturer, Mage Solar.

Can anyone recommend a source for replacement diodes?

--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Solar

?
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM, <re-wrenches-request at lists.re-wrenches.org>
Message: 10
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:03:09 -0500
From: Corey Shalanski <cshalanski at joule-energy.com>
To: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
Subject: [RE-wrenches] Diode Failure
<
CA+SmqZ1C7KSZuQnVzQr0MMuX3F2dT6YDuM40iseCzr2EJRgA+Q at mail.gmail.com>
Wrenches,
We recently were contacted by a customer who reported a lightning strike
close to his house. His online monitoring revealed that 30 of 35
microinverters simultaneously stopped producing power. On initial visit to
the jobsite we measured Voc on many modules - either 12V or 24V instead of
rated 36V. On a second visit we discovered that bypass diodes - either 1
or
2 corresponding to observed voltage loss - had failed on each of the faulty
modules.
My question is: Can anyone support the theory that a nearby lightning
flash
can cause mass bypass diode failure?
--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Energy

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:03:09 -0500
From: Corey Shalanski <[ cshalanski at joule-energy.com ]( mailto:cshalanski at joule-energy.com )>
To: [ RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org ]( mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org )

Wrenches,

We recently were contacted by a customer who reported a lightning strike
close to his house. His online monitoring revealed that 30 of 35
microinverters simultaneously stopped producing power. On initial visit to
the jobsite we measured Voc on many modules - either 12V or 24V instead of
rated 36V. On a second visit we discovered that bypass diodes - either 1 or
2 corresponding to observed voltage loss - had failed on each of the faulty
modules.

My question is: Can anyone support the theory that a nearby lightning flash
can cause mass bypass diode failure?

--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Energy
New Orleans, LA

Sent from Finest Planet WebMail.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Corey - yes, nearby lightning can zorch PV array diodes en masse, and not
always all the diodes at once. Provided they are accessible and not potted
in epoxy DigiKey can provide replacements. When the module manufacturer has
gone out of business, getting the precise specs can be impossible, but
there's nothing special about bypass diodes, the usual products should work
fine.

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
IREC Certified Instructor? for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers?
970.672.4342

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Corey Shalanski <
Post by Corey Shalanski
Wrenches,
Since my previous post (see below) we have recovered the faulty modules
and are now looking to replace the diodes in order to make them
functional again. I have had no success sourcing replacement diodes from
the original module manufacturer, Mage Solar.
Can anyone recommend a source for replacement diodes?
--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Solar
New Orleans, LA
?
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM, <
Message: 10
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Corey,
A diode is a diode. Get an electronics technician to identify the correct
part and source it.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Corey Shalanski <
Post by Corey Shalanski
Wrenches,
Since my previous post (see below) we have recovered the faulty modules
and are now looking to replace the diodes in order to make them
functional again. I have had no success sourcing replacement diodes from
the original module manufacturer, Mage Solar.
Can anyone recommend a source for replacement diodes?
--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Solar
New Orleans, LA
?
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM, <
Message: 10
Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer?
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
"A diode is a diode." ???????

Not so.

That's like saying a solar panel is a solar panel .. or a tire is a tire.

If you can get the identical part # .. then replace it. Don't go out and just use any diode.

The diodes in PV are commonly a Schottky barrier diode .. designed to minimize voltage drop, reduce energy loss .. and operate cooler than "ordinary" diodes when they're conducting. Even something as simple as how they're soldered or otherwise attached is also very important, as that aspect is also used to help dissipate the heat generated by losses within the diode when it's conducting current. To that point, diodes are often rated to operate up to 175C (nearly 2X that of boiling water).

Diodes have specific voltage and current ratings. If you can't replace a diode with an identical part .. then you'll have to use as near a match as possible. Never go LOWER in ratings .. but if you go too much above .. it may not work properly (or long-term reliably) either.

Corey .. contact me off list with the diode part number and I'll see what I can do to assist.

Dan

Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Diode Failure
To: "RE-wrenches" <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>