SMA TL meter communication interference?
Kristopher Schmid
2014-10-17 13:51:47 UTC
Hi All,

I seem to remember seeing this posted a while back, but i was unable to get
the archive search function to work on my browser.

I have a recent install of an SMA SB5000TL-US-240VAC where the utility is
claiming that the inverter is interfering with their communication with the
meter. Anyone have experience with this? Solutions?

Thanks!
--
Shine On!

Kris Schmid
Legacy Solar, LLC
864 Clam Falls Trail
Frederic, WI 54837
www.legacysolar.com
715-653-4295
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Licensed Wisconsin Master Electrician
BSEE
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Kris,

I've installed about a dozen TLs and no complaints from PG&E and the other small Electric Coop here in CA yet. Some installs have had "Smart" meters, some not.

Bill

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

I would point your utility to the SMA spec sheet that shows that the
inverter is FCC Part 15 (Class A & B) compliant.

----
*Mark Westbrock*
Field Manager & Employee-Owner
NM EE98J Journeyman Electrician
NABCEP Certified PV Technical Sales

Positive Energy, Inc.
510 S. Main St.
Las Cruces, NM 88001
office: 575-524-2030
cell: 575-640-2432
mw at positiveenergysolar.com <westbrock at positiveenergysolar.com>
www.positiveenergysolar.com

<http://www.nabcep.org/installer-locator?state=NM>

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Kristopher Schmid <solman at legacysolar.com>
Post by Kristopher Schmid
Hi All,
I seem to remember seeing this posted a while back, but i was unable to
get the archive search function to work on my browser.
I have a recent install of an SMA SB5000TL-US-240VAC where the utility is
claiming that the inverter is interfering with their communication with the
meter. Anyone have experience with this? Solutions?
Thanks!
--
Shine On!
Kris Schmid
Legacy Solar, LLC
864 Clam Falls Trail
Frederic, WI 54837
www.legacysolar.com
715-653-4295
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Licensed Wisconsin Master Electrician
BSEE
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
HI Kris,

It sure seems unlikely that the inverter is interfering with the the
utility meter unless the meter isn't programmed to run backwards? What kind
of problem is the utility reporting?

Best,

August

Luminalt

*August Goers*

Luminalt Energy Corporation

o: 415.641.4000

m: 415.559.1525

www.luminalt.com

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Kristopher Schmid <solman at legacysolar.com>
Post by Kristopher Schmid
Hi All,
I seem to remember seeing this posted a while back, but i was unable to
get the archive search function to work on my browser.
I have a recent install of an SMA SB5000TL-US-240VAC where the utility is
claiming that the inverter is interfering with their communication with the
meter. Anyone have experience with this? Solutions?
Thanks!
--
Shine On!
Kris Schmid
Legacy Solar, LLC
864 Clam Falls Trail
Frederic, WI 54837
www.legacysolar.com
715-653-4295
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Licensed Wisconsin Master Electrician
BSEE
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
August,

The meter is recording correctly in both directions, but they are unable to
communicate with it remotely...even at night. According to the utility
contact, when he opens the PV AC disconnect, the communication is restored.

Kris
Post by August Goers
[...]

You could probably SELL that. People have asked me if it's possible to jam
smart meter communications.

Seriously, though, isn't there some FCC rule about devices accepting
interference from other devices as part of their approval? Maybe smart
meters would be covered under that.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar

Jason Szumlanski