Wasps
Dana Brandt
2013-05-02 18:13:50 UTC
Hi Wrenches,

I have a client who has developed quite a problem with wasps behind her
array. Does anyone have experience getting rid of them? I'm afraid of the
possibility of sprays damaging the backsheet. Is that a legitimate concern?

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Brandt
Ecotech Energy Systems, LLC
www.ecotechenergy.com
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Why get rid of them? Not trying to be a wise a$$ but Wasps need a place
to live and if they are not bothering her it may be a safe place to let
them stay.

Ryan
Post by Dana Brandt
Hi Wrenches,
I have a client who has developed quite a problem with wasps behind
her array. Does anyone have experience getting rid of them? I'm afraid
of the possibility of sprays damaging the backsheet. Is that a
legitimate concern?
Thanks,
Dana
Dana Brandt
Ecotech Energy Systems, LLC
www.ecotechenergy.com <http://www.ecotechenergy.com>
dana at ecotechenergy.com <mailto:dana at ecotechenergy.com>
360.318.7646
get them at nite...they are completely harmless as long as you don't grab
them...they wont fly and if you know where their nests are you can get them
easily after dark....this is also an organic wasp removal system....
it is interesting that back sides of solar panels are one of wasps favorite
homesites....on the up side......the wasps provide free theft protection
during the day!

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa
Renewable Energy Systems
www.oregonsolarworks.com
541-218-0201 m
541-592-3958 o
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
It has been our experience that if the array has wasps, there are no
squirrels nesting there, so another benefit.

-Glenn Burt

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Friends:

I think Bill Brooks did a study on using various forms of music to repel
wasps. It should be in the archives.

William
Yes, Bethoven's Fifth symphony played backwards at half speed is quite
effective. However, the array direct turntable varied in speed with PV
insolation, making it hard to predict when the owner should go out to
flip the record over.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician
Solar Design Engineer
303 505-8760
Ray Walters

William Miller

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks for the input everyone. She's pretty set on getting rid of them.
I'll recommend hosing them down with water at night. I think she's going to
want to go chemical, though. I'd love to hear anyone's experience with
sprays damaging the backsheet or not.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Brandt
Ecotech Energy Systems, LLC
www.ecotechenergy.com
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com
Cell: 264.235.5670
Skype: netconcepts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'd be weary of using Dawn detergent on PV modules because it has petroleum distillates in it. That's why it's so effective at stripping oil off of bird feathers after an oil spill.

Safer brand insecticidal soap will kill wasps, and it's non-toxic and petroleum-free.

I deal with wasps nesting in my ground mount with just a high-pressure sprayer on a garden hose. I have to go out there a few times in the spring to knock down the nests, but the wasps eventually get the idea that they aren't wanted. Two years ago I had a nest of white-faced hornets build one of their marvelous cone-shaped nests on the back of the array, and it was pretty large by the time I saw it, so I left them alone. I like hornets because they kill and eat yellow jackets, and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unlike yellow jackets.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar

[...]

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org<mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

--
Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com<http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
Cell: 264.235.5670
Skype: netconcepts

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org<mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm<http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>

Check out participant bios:

www.members.re-wrenches.org<http://www.members.re-wrenches.org>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
If you can slip a container over the nest, I put a ?? of gasoline in the
bottom of the container and go up at night and slip the container with gas
over the nest and holding it tight to the panel or soffit, slip it to the
side and hold it for a minute or so.

The gas asphyxiates the stinging monsters and then you have yet another
opportunity to be a male pyromaniac. 100% success rate so far.

Note to self - do not spill the gas on the house.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc - NABCEP # 051112-136

dana at solarwork.com - www.solarwork.com

PLEASE ADD & NOTE NEW CELL - C - 208.721.7003

O - 970.626.5253 F - 970.626.4140

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com
Cell: 264.235.5670
Skype: netconcepts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
www.cometenergysystems.com
Cell: 264.235.5670
Skype: netconcepts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I don't know if smoke stuns wasps like it does bees. That could be a humane
way to distract them while you get the nest off the module so maybe they
will go somewhere else.

Jim

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Jim,
Sorry, but that's really bad advice. Smoke doesn't stun bees. It makes them think there is a fire and they begin to gorge themselves with honey in preparation for fleeing. While they are doing that, they mostly ignore you. Might work that way with wasps, but I don't know that for sure and I'm betting you don't either. Most wasps don't collect nectar to evaporate into honey, they eat meat in the form of other insects. Ya might just piss them off.
Bob-O

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Maybe stuns was a poor choice of words. Mellows might be better. Still works
on bees but the point was that it might have the same mellowing effect on
wasps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_smoker

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
If there is enough space so that you can get at the back of the array with a
smooth edged wood or plastic spatula like tool and a large garbage bag you
can remove the wasp hive manually. Must be done at first morning light when
it's cool out. Get the whole thing captured in the trash bag before they
know what's going on. Works very well as they are inactive until the sun
comes up. I still wear gloves, longsleeves, turtle neck shirt and a
bugnetting hat just to be careful. Then what to do with the bag of wasps?
Make sure it is double bagged and secured with duct tape etc.

Dave Palumbo

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I spray wasps with WD 40 when it is necessary to remove them. I
think it penetrates their exoskeleton. Whatever the reason, it drops
them. I haven't sprayed WD on solar modules.

I minimize the use of toxic chemicals due to the environmentally
caused cancer epidemic that is pretty much world wide now. A biocide
for insects is a biocide for humans.
<http://www.ecotechenergy.com>www.ecotechenergy.com
<mailto:dana at ecotechenergy.com>dana at ecotechenergy.com
<tel:360.318.7646>360.318.7646
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

<mailto:dana at ecotechenergy.com>dana at ecotechenergy.com
<tel:360.318.7646>360.318.7646
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Unless I missed it, I'm kinda surprised that nobody suggested the obvious:
hire a professional. Hand the manufacturer's datasheet and instructions to
them and let them do their job.

*Jason Szumlanski*

*Fafco Solar*
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Jason's suggestion of hiring a pro is great.

Just to throw another 'remedy' idea out there.
If you are still looking to do it yourself. Vinegar would be effective. Not sure it's effect on mod back sheets thou? But it could be sprayed down with water after the chaos has calmed down. A few squirts from a spray bottle directly on the nest (without getting any on the modules) may be enough to have the wasps looking for a better nesting area.

Remember, anything sprayed on the roof will end up washing off one way or another. Remember that if they collect the rainwater runoff for watering lawns/gardens.

Vinegar works great for ant hills as well. Just keep the area that you apply it to small and let it soak down into the nest. Don't cover a large area or all vegetation that is contacted will die as well.

benn
Sent from a 'smart' phone, with touch screen keys. Please excuse shortcuts and typos.
dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646

dana at ecotechenergy.com
360.318.7646