1.5 MW Off Grid
Phil Theis
2014-10-02 18:51:47 UTC
A PA business park is serious about taking their loads off grid.
Whose systems would you recommend for this size system?
Thanks,
Phil Theis
PennSun Solar
Brian Teitelbaum
2014-10-02 19:07:12 UTC
Phil,

Bad idea. There is absolutely no financial advantage to going off-grid, at
least if the grid is already installed. Batteries are a lot more expensive
per kWh than grid power.

And pretty soon they will be at war with each other over "who left the
d**n loads on and drained the battery".

They should just do a straight grid-tie system, or separate systems for
each business, to offset the utility power usage. Of course, grid-tie with
battery back- up of critical loads might be a good idea, if they truly
have critical loads.

That said, I hear that the reanimated Satcon is developing large
battery-based inverters. I haven't checked on their progress lately
though.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org
Chris Mason
2014-10-02 19:18:18 UTC
I get these requests all the time, and electricity here is very expensive.
I can't make a business case for going off-grid. We did one simulation for
a totally off-grid 4MW system where there was no grid, using diesel
generators, 400KW of PV and SMA's Fuel Save, and the PV was only able to
supply about 10% of the total electricity.
--
Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer?

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>