Pv wire
Kirk
2014-06-26 17:15:36 UTC
Hi folks,
What is the proper approximate in2 area to use for #10 1kva/2kva pv wire for calculating conduit fill? I'm on a job site and don't have the specs with me. Thanks.

Kirk Herander
VSE
dan
2014-06-26 17:44:20 UTC
I got .0437" for RHH-2 with outer jacket in the 2011 code

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org
Daniel Young
2014-06-26 17:53:02 UTC
My 2kV PV wire is 0.29"OD, so I use 0.053in^2. It's single layer insulation
if that helps.

Daniel Young,
NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating InstallerTM: Cert #SH031409-13

Lead Systems Designer for:

www.dovetailsolar.com
Ph: 740-274-0139

We?ve completed over 310 renewable energy projects!? Check out a few in our
photo gallery:?
http://www.dovetailsolar.com/Our-Work.aspx?path=commercial+-+solar+electric
This email message and attachments are intended only for the addressee. ?It
may contain information which is legally privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure.? If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you
may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this message and/or the
information contained in the message.? If you have received this message in
error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete this message
along with any attachments.? Unauthorized interception of this email is a
violation of criminal laws and laws covering electronic communications
privacy matters.

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

-----
No virus found in this message.
Kirk

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

Kirk
2014-06-26 17:58:17 UTC
Dan,
Pv wire is xlpe.

Kirk Herander
VSE
Post by dan
I got .0437" for RHH-2 with outer jacket in the 2011 code
Kirk and All,

I just got back from PV America and one of the venders there had a new PV
Wire that was a completely different construction (not XLP). Their outer
jacket is a more UV resilient material.

There are also PV Wire with PVC jackets that are less resilient to UV than
XLP. Ask for details on construction before buying. Not all PV Wire is the
same (or as good).

Bill.

I got .0437" for RHH-2 with outer jacket in the 2011 code
What is the proper approximate in2 area to use for #10 1kva/2kva pv wire
for calculating conduit fill? I'm on a job site and don't have the specs
with me. Thanks.
Post by dan
Kirk Herander
VSE

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

---
Jason Szumlanski

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I use this site when I need a quick answer. Use RHH (covered) with one
conductor. You get the same answer.

http://www.electrician2.com/calculators/rf_calculator.html

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?

Post by Kirk
Hi folks,
What is the proper approximate in2 area to use for #10 1kva/2kva pv
wire for calculating conduit fill? I'm on a job site and don't have the
specs with me. Thanks.
Kirk Herander
VSE
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Yeah, 1k/2k wire shows a diameter of 0.26" on the spec sheet, or 0.053093
in^2.

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?
Post by Kirk
Hi folks,
What is the proper approximate in2 area to use for #10 1kva/2kva pv
wire for calculating conduit fill? I'm on a job site and don't have the
specs with me. Thanks.
Kirk Herander
VSE
___
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Kirk,

The tables in Appendix C are just for reference. They are not part of the Code. The only real part of the code is in chapter 9:

Table 1 Percent of Cross Section of Conduit and Tubing for

Conductors and Cables

Number of Conductors and/or Cables Cross-Sectional Area (%)

1 53

2 31

Over 2 40

Many conductors do not have standard cross-sectional areas.

Bill.

I looked through the archives and saw that this was a topic a few years
back. I am looking for ground mounted wire management equipment that
actually does something other than just support conductors. I know
several quality assurance program inspectors want to see ground mounted
conductors inaccessible, and how inaccessible is determined is a pretty
big hole. I am wondering if anyone has used a system that seems to be
accepted. Thank you, Chris
--
Christopher Warfel, President
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
401-466-8978
Solar
2014-10-13 00:35:37 UTC
Have you looked in to racking made by US Solarmounts in WI?

http://www.ussolarmounts.us

Their ground mounts are pretty nice and offer actual conductor protection. I've never used them, but I've seen them at the MREA in WI. Nice product.

Jesse

RE-Power LLC

Sent from my iPhone
I looked through the archives and saw that this was a topic a few years back. I am looking for ground mounted wire management equipment that actually does something other than just support conductors. I know several quality assurance program inspectors want to see ground mounted conductors inaccessible, and how inaccessible is determined is a pretty big hole. I am wondering if anyone has used a system that seems to be accepted. Thank you, Chris
--
Christopher Warfel, President
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 871, Block Island, RI 02807
401-466-8978
Friends:

I looked at the Solarmount web site and I don't think the product complies--
the wire management leaves leads exposed. It's a nice start, however.

I was asked by Homepower to do an article on wire management. I was
flattered they'd ask, but I had to decline because there is so few options
off-the-shelf that I can recommend.

William

Lic 773985
millersolar.com
805-438-5600

Have you looked in to racking made by US Solarmounts in WI?

http://www.ussolarmounts.us

Their ground mounts are pretty nice and offer actual conductor protection.
I've never used them, but I've seen them at the MREA in WI. Nice product.

Jesse

RE-Power LLC

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 12, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Christopher Warfel

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

www.members.re-wrenches.org
Christopher Warfel
2014-10-13 12:55:39 UTC
Thanks all, I don't see a good solution to what I think is a
non-existent problem. I believe that anyone who wants to pull apart dc
subarray conductors is attempting to vandalize. It's not easy to do, and
you really have to be wondering why someone would even try. Why don't we
put all electrical outlets 8 feet off the ground?
401-466-8978
William Miller
2014-10-13 15:27:51 UTC
Christopher:

I believe strongly that the code requirement to protect PV wires from
unauthorized personnel is justified. Ground mount arrays are essentially
jungle gyms and could attract children to climb. If a 50 pound child
inadvertently swings on a PV cable across a sharp metal edge the insulation
could easily be compromised. The current limited nature of PV means the
current will sink through the short until the short is opened, leaving up to
600 volts at fatal amperage exposed to the touch. Inadequate ground fault
interruption technology does little to prevent the problem.

You cannot legally install a convenience receptacle at any height above
ground with the individual conductors exposed, so why should one be allowed
to install PV with individual conductors readily accessible?

I grant you that shielding PV wiring on a ground mount is a difficult
process. It is very unfortunate that the industry has been allowed to
evolve without developing decent wire management hardware in the process.

If you are not aware of the work we have done on wire management solutions,
you might visit our website where we share all of our ideas. We are giving
away trade secrets, but I feel a moral obligation to help everyone in the
industry deliver a safe product.

Most sincerely,

William Miller

Lic 773985
millersolar.com
805-438-5600

805-438-5600
Christopher Warfel
2014-10-13 17:34:25 UTC
I am well aware of all the possibilities of danger in many aspects of
life. This is not a main one in my opinion, and given that there are no
good solutions indicates to me that it is mostly an unsolvable problem
unless you wish to be impractical. All I asked for were products that
could provide a solution. . I have inspected in several states with
solar programs that will not enforce securing electrical enclosures in
living spaces that have access to 240 v. I even seen this situation in a
children's play room.
I think that is more than a little more serious issue.
401-466-8978
RE Ellison
2014-10-13 19:54:56 UTC
I have mentioned in the past, look into US Solar Mounts, The wire management is built in!

They have several different styles of mounts and many of them have wire management built into the frames

Custom-built for each install so you tell him what you're using and what you need and they will tell you what will work best

Another product that's made in the USA!
Bob Ellison

Bob Ellison
Post by William Miller
[...]
Thanks Rob, We have been using Unirac for many years and slow to change
(since we have so much of it in inventory). I think with the difficulty
of pv module disconnects now, and good wire management, a barrier is
really a solution looking for a problem. I'll take a look. Thank you
again. Chris
401-466-8978
Daniel Young
2014-10-14 19:23:00 UTC
I think the answer also depends on the scale of the project. Are we talking
a small residential system? Or larger commercial/utility? I'd assume
smaller, as you would likely just fence in a larger scale system, solving
the accessibility issue.

For small scale ground mounts, we'll often use the Pro-Solar Ground Trac,
and simply put a strip of aluminum sheet metal (they sell rolls of it for
making custom gutters) between certain rails, using a metal break to give it
1" wings on the side for attaching to the rails. Then we use a liquid tight
to get the PV wire from the cavity, and send it to a J-Box/Combiner/Inverter
on the array. I'm attempting to attach 2 images, hopefully they go through.
This also has the benefit of making the array look very trim.

With Regards,

Post by RE Ellison
I have mentioned in the past, look into US Solar Mounts, The wire management is built in!
They have several different styles of mounts and many of them have
wire management built into the frames
Custom-built for each install so you tell him what you're using and
what you need and they will tell you what will work best
Another product that's made in the USA!
Bob Ellison
Bob Ellison
On Oct 13, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Christopher Warfel
Post by RE Ellison
Post by William Miller
If you are not aware of the work we have done on wire management
solutions, you might visit our website where we share all of our
ideas. We are giving away trade secrets, but I feel a moral
obligation to help everyone in the industry deliver a safe product.
Most sincerely,
William Miller
Lic 773985
millersolar.com
805-438-5600
st.html
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
www.members.re-wrenches.org
--
Christopher Warfel, President
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 871, Block Island, RI 02807
401-466-8978
t.html
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
www.members.re-wrenches.org
.html

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
[...]

I'm not sure I understand your logic. It seems you are saying:

1. Life is dangerous anyway;

2. Children have been exposed to dangerous voltages due to other people's
poor workmanship or lax enforcement;

3. Performing safe and code compliant work is hard;

4. 240 VAC is more dangerous than 500 VDC.

5. Therefore, there is no obligation to address unsafe and code
non-compliant situations in ground-mount PV systems.

If I understand this correctly, we are not going to agree on this one. I
think it is incumbent on all of us to aspire to higher standards of safety
and I know it means working a little harder. It can be done.

Sincerely,

William Miller

Lic 773985

millersolar.com

805-438-5600

Post by William Miller
<http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org>
Post by William Miller
<http://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist>
http://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist
Post by William Miller
.html
<http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>
Post by William Miller
<http://www.members.re-wrenches.org> www.members.re-wrenches.org
--

List Address: <mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

<http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org>

http://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist.html

List rules & etiquette:

<http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:

<http://www.members.re-wrenches.org> www.members.re-wrenches.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think that someone on this list recommended Solar Scrim a while back
to make the conductors no longer readily accessible after they're
supported; two options, depending on how picky the QA inspector is.

http://www.solarscrim.com/

DKC
accepted. Thank you, Chris
Jason Kechijian
2014-10-14 22:09:59 UTC
I recently used a product called solarscrim, which is basically a mesh barrier that is zipped tied to the purlins and protects the conductors. This application was perfect for the installation as it made the array aesthetically pleasing and compliant to 690.31(A). I have also used a ground mount wire management solution I found at SPI last year from CAB Products that has coated hooks and attaches to a guy wire. The last installation was a 3MW field behind a 6ft fence.

Jason D. Kechijian, LEED AP
NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional?
NABCEP Certified PV Technical Sales Professional?
solarj at me.com
(843) 200-7271