Grundfos SQFlex
Ron @ earthRight Solar
2014-10-21 01:21:08 UTC
Hello water pumping Wrenches, I have a customer who has a Grundfos SQFlex 11 pump and he is getting connected to the grid. He will still have his battery back up charged by PV and wants to look at the most efficient way to operate the pump. It seems to me that neither the IO101 or the CU200 really is needed and he could just wire directly to the inverter output at 240v via a pressure switch on a standard pressure tank for most efficient operation. Although this doesn?t give any access to the Grundfos built in diagnostics that display on the CU200.

Would you recommend keeping a CU200 in the system or is it overkill? With the CU200 the max voltage is 120 whereas without it I can go with 240v and a more efficient operation? unless I am missing something.

Ron Young
jay peltz
2014-10-21 01:36:54 UTC
Hi Ron

Where did you read that the CU 200 is only good for 120vac. The manual I see shows 240vac 50/60hz?

Jay
Peltz power.
Post by Ron @ earthRight Solar
Hello water pumping Wrenches, I have a customer who has a Grundfos SQFlex 11 pump and he is getting connected to the grid. He will still have his battery back up charged by PV and wants to look at the most efficient way to operate the pump. It seems to me that neither the IO101 or the CU200 really is needed and he could just wire directly to the inverter output at 240v via a pressure switch on a standard pressure tank for most efficient operation. Although this doesn?t give any access to the Grundfos built in diagnostics that display on the CU200.
Would you recommend keeping a CU200 in the system or is it overkill? With the CU200 the max voltage is 120 whereas without it I can go with 240v and a more efficient operation? unless I am missing something.
Ron Young
Hi Jay,

You are correct about the CU-200. It has an operating voltage range of
30-300 VDC and 90-240 VAC.

However, the IO-101 transfer switch is another story, and I think that is
what Ron meant. Up until recently Grundfos was only importing the 120 VAC
version of the IO-101, but now you can get the 240 VAC version here also
(it's basically the European 230 VAC model).

One thing to note though with the IO-101 is that its max DC voltage is only
225 VDC (even though the pumps and CU-200 are good for 300 VDC), so make
sure the PV array it's connected to is below that.

Brian
AEE Solar

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org
Allan Sindelar
2014-10-21 02:42:54 UTC
Brian Teitelbaum
2014-10-21 02:24:03 UTC
Hi Ron,

What you describe with using a pressure switch and pressure tank, and just
running the pump with 240 VAC, is fine. You don't need the CU-200 to do
any of that, if all you are doing is switching AC. The diagnostics is
nice, but probably not worth the cost in this kind of simple setup.

One issue though. The SQFlex pumps are not exactly instant-on. There is a
slight delay between when power is applied and the pump starts. Just make
sure that you use a large enough pressure tank to keep the pressure from
dropping too far before the pump starts filling it. You may have to raise
the starting pressure on the switch a little above where you set the
minimum pressure, to let it fall some at startup.

When it becomes time to replace the pump (hopefully many years from now),
I would just go with a Grundfos SQ straight AC pump instead of the Flex
model. If you are not going to be using a PV-direct arrangement, there is
not much advantage in using the Flex pumps.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE solar

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

www.members.re-wrenches.org
toddcory
2014-10-21 02:55:10 UTC
"If you are not going to be using a PV-direct arrangement, there is not much advantage in using the Flex pumps."

except efficiency. i have two wells at home and the grundfos sqflex pumps 50' of additional head at the same flow rate, using 30% less energy as compared to the standard, 3/4 hp pump down the other hole..

and yes, the cu200's label says up to 240 vac is fine.
as long as he has it, why not run the power through it?

todd
Post by Brian Teitelbaum
[...]
Sent from Finest Planet WebMail.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Friends:

The IO101 will accept only 120 VAC into the auxiliary port. This is the connector with the threads on the bottom of the unit. It has a label indicating 120 VAC. This will cause some confusion. The CU200 will accept 240 VAC and it will allow you to use a float switch.

The IO101 will not allow a float switch and there are some idiosyncrasies as to how it switches from solar to AC and back (or not).

William

Lic 773985
millersolar.com
805-438-5600