Stainless NEMA4x load center, SolarDeck w/ breakers
Chris Schaefer
2014-04-23 16:01:44 UTC
Jason,

I love the picture. Just ran into this a few days ago on an install. Had two older SolarDeck Model 0780 in stock. I had the same two pole breakers and attempted to install them here in the shop before I went out to the project as I was afraid their height would not allow the cover to seal. And it did not. It appears you have ABB breakers and I just tried them and they don?t fit either. Now if you look at your link it shows and states fuse holders, which do fit. I?m wondering if the newer models in your link are just a little bit taller than the older models I had in stock. I don?t see size specs on their web site. Can you please provide the model# you show in your photo?

Christopher Schaefer

Chris Schaefer?s

SolarWindFX

Tel/Fax 585-229-2083 or Cell 585-748-1870

5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424

www.solarandwindfx.com ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said, "democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:
http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org <http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches..org>

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org <http://www.members.re-wrenches.org/>

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:
http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org <http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches..org>

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

Change email address & settings:
http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org <http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches..org>

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

Check out participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org

Here is exactly what I ordered:

(1) RST0760-41AD Soladeck AC/DC Combiner Box
(1) RST0784AC-3K Soladeck AC 3 Circuit Busbar Kit
(2) RST1455.20 ABB Mini Circuit Breaker 120/240VAC 20A
(1) RST1455.15 ABB Mini Circuit Breaker 120/240VAC 15A
(1) RST1440.080 Soladeck Power Block 600V 80A

?This model has a cover that is bumped out to fit breakers. Here is a pic
of the closed up box.

?[image: Inline image 1]

Again, I'm not really happy with the way I brought the Enphase cables into
this ?Soladeck. The knockout center-points provided by the manufacturer are
too close together to accommodate five water-tight glands, so I used some
offsets to make more space. If it wasn't my own house, I would have wanted
it to look much prettier for a customer.

One thing I highly recommend is along the top and sides to use sealant as
indicated in the manual, then sprinkle a generous amount of granules in the
sealant. Otherwise the cover and your fingers get gummed up when taking the
cover off.

?The manufacturer's website and documentation is woefully inadequate for
this product. They need to clarify it, obviously, based on this discussion
if they want to sell more. It's a great solution IMO.?

Jason Szumlansk?i

Fafco Solar

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Chris Schaefer
Post by Chris Schaefer
Jason,
I love the picture. Just ran into this a few days ago on an
install. Had two older SolarDeck Model 0780 in stock. I had the same two
pole breakers and attempted to install them here in the shop before I went
out to the project as I was afraid their height would not allow the cover
to seal. And it did not. It appears you have ABB breakers and I just tried
them and they don?t fit either. Now if you look at your link it shows and
states fuse holders, which do fit. I?m wondering if the newer models in
your link are just a little bit taller than the older models I had in
stock. I don?t see size specs on their web site. Can you please provide the
model# you show in your photo?
Christopher Schaefer
Chris Schaefer?s
[image: SolarWindFX]
* Tel/Fax 585-229-2083 <585-229-2083> or Cell
585-748-1870 <585-748-1870> *
* 5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424*
chris at solarandwindfx.com <chris at solarandwindfx.com>*
re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] *On Behalf Of *Jason Szumlanski
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:36
*To:* RE-wrenches
See my other response, but you should definitely consider SolaDeck in this
case. You want SolaDeck Model 0786-41. Make sure you order the correct
breakers, bus bars, and Neutral terminal block.
http://www.rstcenterprises.com/soladeck/products/1741_combiner_enclosure.phtml
?The attached picture is the Soladeck on my 3-string ?Enphase system at
home (note: neutral block was not on DIN rail yet). There are four neutrals
on the bottom of the N block because I center-fed one inverter string, so I
had four sets of Enphase cable coming into the box, which is admittedly a
little tight. If you need to do this, I recommend transitioning to THWN in
a separate combiner and just bringing in three strings through one or two
conduits.
?[image: Inline image 1]?
Jason Szumlanski
?Fafco Sola
?r?
[...]
______________
Are these breakers listed for use in wet locations?

www.solarandwindfx.com ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com

<https://wisestamp.appspot.com/pixview.gif?p=chrome&v=3.31.0&t=1398266913442&u=d0c775731865b324>

At 06:18 PM 4/21/2014, you wrote:

Hello Friends!
Anyone have a lead for NEMA 4x stainless load centers (electrical panel)? ? Looking for 4 circuit version rated at about 60-100A @ 240VAC.

Would like to use it for rooftop combiner for 3 Enphase inverter output circuits.
Thank you!!

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa
Renewable Energy Systems
www.oregonsolarworks.com
541-218-0201

______________

While the interior of a raceway in a wet location is considered a wet
location, the interior of a NEMA 3R enclosure is not. The breakers need not
be listed for use in wet locations. That's the interpretation of all area
AHJs here, and there is tons of evidence to support this logical conclusion
(NM cable into exterior mounted NEMA 3R disconnects, switch enclosures;
NEMA 1 enclosures inside larger NEMA 3R enclosures, etc.)

I hope I didn't just open a can or worms... :)

Jason Szumlanski

?Fafco Solar?
Are these breakers listed for use in wet locations?
re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] *On Behalf Of *Jason Szumlanski
Friends,
I just discovered that Midnite Solar also has a 3 circuit combiner
mountable down to a 3/12 pitch for AC micros at 240VAC. They have a
fingered buss bar that has offsets to catch every other pole on the dual
pole breaker sets.....in addition it has their external lockable, visible
disconnect on the exterior of the box.......

So am discovering that there are options......I will probably use the
midnite solar option as the breakers are a small fraction of the cost of
the breakers used int he Soladeck...
Thanks for all the help...
Cheers,

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa
Renewable Energy Systems
www.oregonsolarworks.com
541-218-0201 m
541-299-0402 o
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Glenn Burt <glenn.burt at glbcc.com<glenn..burt at glbcc.com>
Are these breakers listed for use in wet locations?
re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] *On Behalf Of *Jason Szumlanski
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
If you are mounting under panels (which is my preference to keep it out of
the elements and for aesthetics), I still recommend the Soladeck. It
accepts other DIN rail mounted breakers... shop around...

Jason Szumlanski \ Vice President
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2FFafcoSolar.com&sn=amFzb25Ac3p1bWxhbnNraS5jb20%3D>
Tel: 239-574-1500
Are these breakers listed for use in wet locations?
re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] *On Behalf Of *Jason Szumlanski
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
The breakers in common commercially available
outdoor breaker boxes are for dry locations only, and the boxes are NEMA 3R.

Mounting a breaker under a solar module could
present a code problem, as the breakers are not readily available.
Post by Jason Szumlanski
If you are mounting under panels (which is my
preference to keep it out of the elements and
for aesthetics), I still recommend the Soladeck.
It accepts other DIN rail mounted breakers... shop around...
Jason Szumlanski \? Vice President
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2FFafcoSolar.com&sn=amFzb25Ac3p1bWxhbnNraS5jb20%3D>
[]
Tel: 239-574-1500
?
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Kirpal Khalsa
Friends,
I just discovered that Midnite Solar also has a
3 circuit combiner mountable down to a 3/12
pitch for AC micros at 240VAC. ? They have a
fingered buss bar that has offsets to catch
every other pole on the dual pole breaker
sets.....in addition it has their external
lockable, visible disconnect on the exterior of the box.......
So am discovering that there are options......I
will probably use the midnite solar option as
the breakers are a small fraction of the cost of
the breakers used int he Soladeck...
Thanks for all the help...
Cheers,
Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa
Renewable Energy Systems
<http://www.oregonsolarworks.com>www.oregonsolarworks.com
<tel:541-218-0201>541-218-0201 m
<tel:541-299-0402>541-299-0402 o
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Jason
[...]
???
Inline image 1
?
[...]
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? Chris Schaefer???s
SolarWindFX
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Tel/Fax
<tel:585-229-2083>585-229-2083 or Cell <tel:585-748-1870>585-748-1870?
? ? ? ? ? 5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424
<http://www.solarandwindfx.com>www.solarandwindfx.com
<http://www.rstcenterprises.com/soladeck/products/1741_combiner_enclosure.phtml>http://www.rstcenterprises.com/soladeck/products/1741_combiner_enclosure.phtml
?
<<mailto:drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org>drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org>

<https://wisestamp.appspot.com/pixview.gif?p=chrome&v=3.31.0&t=1398274781591&u=d0c775731865b324>

www.solarandwindfx.com ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said, "democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer?
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts